Investiture of Sister Chiara Marie: Sharing and Photos



Today, March 18th, is the anniversary of our Mother St. Clare’s investiture as the first “Poor Lady”, the first woman in a long line of feminine followers of St. Francis.  In the year 1212, March 18th fell on Palm Sunday, though the two days never coincide in modern times due to the differences in how the date of Easter was celebrated in the middle ages.  A few years ago, we actually were able to have the investiture ceremony of one of our novices on March 18th.  A slide show was made of the event which you can view at: http://youtu.be/tnGUEOaxYGw

Last year we were graced to celebrate two investitures, that of Sister Chiara Marie and Sister Mary Faustina.  As is our custom, after a novice has been clothed in the Holy Habit, she writes a letter sharing about her experience which is sent to some of our other monasteries.  Below is an excerpt from Sister Chiara Marie’s letter, along with some pictures of the ceremony.

 Pacé é Bené! Not that I know Italian by any means, but I do enjoy learning little phrases here and there, and, with our new Italian name, I feel like it has enhanced that enjoyment in my inner dialogue. I catch myself saying, “Santa Chiara! Ora pro nobis!...wait a minute, that second part is Latin”. So, it’s still emerging.
I was so overwhelmed with all the graces and blessings that Our Lord was pouring out during our retreat, on our Investiture day, and continues to pour out daily. It is neat to see how much the Lord has transformed me since I entered a year and a half ago. All He asks is that we surrender and say, “yes” and, how beautiful, that He does all the work! Very truly, I have done nothing, except tried to step out of the way and allow Him to work. 

I shared with our Dear Mistress (Sister Margaret Mary) that I felt like I was trying to drink from a fire hydrant with all the graces that I was receiving from all your prayers. I recalled feeling the same way when I entered but, at that time, felt like I was trying to search for buckets to collect all the extra graces to save them up for when I would really need them later. But this time around, I felt surrounded in His love and asked Him to let the graces flow through me and cleanse me and continue to pour out to each of my Sisters and strengthen them and flow out of them and onto the whole world in abundance! How joyous! I also have learned that we don’t need to store up graces, because He provides the grace we need in every situation in each moment that arises. He even tells us in Second Corinthians, “My grace is sufficient for you.” The second part of that verse which is “for strength is made perfect in weakness” is a whole other sharing.

I wanted to share, “When the Lord delivered Kathryn from Postulancy, it seemed like a dream.” But then one would think that postulancy was like bondage, so we’ll change it. “When the Lord delivered the name Chiara Marie, it seemed like a dream.” The antiphon for this complementary psalm is appropriate too, “The Lord has done great things for us; He is the source of all our joy.” How true! I am still in a state of bewilderment that He would gift me with such a beautiful name and patroness. It is very humbling too, which I’m sure you all have experienced, to be named after a saint really makes you feel very little and very unworthy of that name. Santa Chiara, ora pro nobis! Mother Abbess shared how the Holy Spirit gave her confirmation after confirmation after confirmation about our new name leading up to our Investiture.

 I was still not expecting it at all, but just excited to see what the Lord had prepared for me. Apparently, the state of bewilderment shows on my face and a few times since my clothing my dear Junior Sisters have looked at me and said, “You look lost…”. Although I am only a new Novice, I feel like a new Postulant at times, where I feel like I have forgotten our rhythm of doing things and I don’t know what to do next. I shared this with one of our Junior Sisters and she said, “Everything looks different through a headcover.” How true that feels!


The day of our Investiture itself was beautiful. Even though the liturgy for the day was a feria, the whole Divine Office spoke directly to my heart. I love how the Lord works in that way! It was funny because everyone recalls that Moses had to “remove your shoes, you are standing on holy ground”, but the first lesson of Matins on a simple feria Thursday of the 10th week in Ordinary Time tells us that Joshua was also told the same thing. Nobody ever recalls that little story. But on the day that I would be told that same thing, Our Lord reveals that little story to us. I was able to wear my mother’s wedding dress from 47 years ago. My large family and some close friends were all able to come and share in the day and visit with them. I told them about our tradition here about praying an Ave Maria when you call someone by their Baptismal name. I received a LOT of prayers that day and I’m sure I am still receiving even more from them. Storing up treasure in heaven!
Santa Chiara, prega per noi!
                                               
With love and joy from 
His unworthy little plant 
and your newest little Sister,
Sister Chiara Marie of Jesus


Stay tuned for Sister Mary Faustina’s letter and pictures which will be coming soon!

Comments

Melanie said…
Thank-you so much for sharing these photos and thoughts
Praying for grace and perseverance
Rose Magdalene said…
God Bless you and your Sisters. Praying for you.
Anonymous said…
Dear sisters
may God bless you all with many more vocations,Sister looks so beautiful and full of joy.
Thank you for sharing, keeping you all in prayer
God reward you
marie
Maura said…
I am so happy for Sr. Chiara Marie. Blessings to you!

Popular Posts